Water Facts

Water has become one of the most precious resources on our planet. We think it exists in great abundance, because we see it everywhere. We hear facts like 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water, but we might forget that 97% of that water is salt water, in the oceans. Of the remaining 3% which is fresh water, three quarters is locked away in the ice caps or polluted. That leaves very little water for the many uses we put it to, such as irrigation, industry, washing, cooking and drinking.

We are often wasteful of water, because it is readily accessible and seems abundant. If we thought about how little usable water there really is on the earth and how central it is to our existence, we might do more to conserve this essential resource. While Liquid Art is a definite consumer of water, the rate of consumption is very low. In fact, it could be argued that using water artistically recognizes and honors its fundamental place in our lives. In addition, it is difficult to imagine any other way for one drop of water to provide a lifetime of wonderment, enjoyment and pure viewing pleasure.

Here are some random facts about water, taken from numerous reliable sources:

  • Water is the only natural substance that is found in all three states (gas, liquid, solid) at the temperatures normally found on Earth;
  • One cubic centimeter of water at 4℃ weighs one gram;
  • A liter of water weighs 1.01 kilograms;
  • Water is more dense at 4℃ than when it is frozen – this is why ice floats;
  • Unlike other liquids, water expands as it freezes;
  • Water is called the “universal solvent” because it dissolves more substances than any other liquid. Wherever it goes, water carries valuable chemicals, minerals and nutrients;
  • Water has very high surface tension second only to Mercury;
  • A small drip from a faucet can waste as much as 75 liters of water a day;
  • Groundwater can take up to 70 years to traverse a kilometer;
  • The human brain is 70% water and the eyes are 95% water;
  • A person can live one month without food, but only 7 days without water; and
  • The most common cause of daytime fatigue is mild dehydration.